Dr Ryan Ko is a Senior Lecturer with the University of Waikato. He established New Zealand's first Masters degree in Cyber Security and dedicated Cyber Security Lab (https://crow.org.nz) at the University of Waikato. His main research areas are cyber security, cloud data provenance, exploratory visualisations and cloud computing security and trust. Prior to joining the faculty, he was a lead computer scientist with Hewlett-Packard (HP) Labs’ Cloud and Security Lab and achieved first-in-the-world scientific breakthroughs in the area of cloud data provenance. Ko’s cloud data provenance technology transfers are now in global HP cloud security solutions used by governments and data centres internationally. Recipient of the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) Ron Knode Service Award, he is active as Research Advisor for CSA Asia Pacific, and serves as chair and board member of several cyber security industry consortia and chapters. He is also the co-founder and co-chair of the CSA Cloud Data Governance Working Group, the first CSA research group led by a chapter in Asia Pacific. Recipient of the IEEE TrustCom Outstanding Leadership Award 2013 and IEEE TrustCom Outstanding Service Award 2012, Dr Ko is currently the co-chair of the IEEE TSCloud (2011-2014), IEEE TSP 2013, IEEE UbiSafe 2012, CSA APAC Congress, and Associate Editor of
Wiley's Security and Communication Networks, International Journal of Cloud Applications and Computing, Editor of ACM XRDS from 2009 to 2011, and Technical Program Committee member and reviewer for several academic conferences and journals (e.g. Elsevier Information Systems, IEEE Spectrum, IEEE Trans. in Services Computing, etc). During his PhD, Ko achieved Singapore ASTAR's Best Student Award 2009 in the Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technologies in 2010. One of his innovations, Genesis+BOWL clinched the top prize of the prestigious 4th IEEE Service Cup at Los Angeles, California in 2009. Prior to HP Labs and his PhD, Ko was an entrepreneur with two startups, and was with Micron Technology, Inc. Ko is an active volunteer and public speaker. He has spoken on Cloud Security at several locations in USA and Asia Pacific. He is the inventor of 3 international patents and is a member of the IEEE, ACM and AAAI.
CURRICULUM VITAE & PUBLICATIONS
Present position Senior Lecturer
Organisation/Employer Dept. of Computer Science, The University of Waikato
2011, PhD, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
2005, B.Eng (Hons.), (Computer Eng’g), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
1c. Professional positions held
2013-, Founder/ Head, Cyber Security Lab, University of Waikato (UoW), Hamilton, NZ
2013-, Coordinator, NZ’s 1st Master of Cyber Security programme, UoW
2013-, Research Adviser, Cloud Security Alliance (Asia Pacific Region)
2012-, Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waikato, Hamilton, NZ
2011-2012, Lead Computer Scientist, Cloud & Security Labs, HP Labs, Hewlett-Packard
2010-2011, Computer Scientist, Cloud & Security Labs, HP Labs, Hewlett-Packard
2008-2011, Co-Founder/ Partner, Calamine Solutions
2009-2010, Co-Founder/ Managing Director, Artvertis Pte. Ltd.
2007-2010, PhD Candidate/ Research Associate, Nanyang Technological University
2005-2007, Systems Engineer, Micron Technologies
2001-2005, Free-Lance software developer and tester
1999-2001, Military Policeman, Singapore Armed Forces Provost Unit (Conscription)
Present research/professional speciality
Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, Data Provenance, Exploratory Visualisations
Professional distinctions & memberships
Honours, Awards & Scholarships
• 2013, Outstanding Leadership Award, IEEE TrustCom 2013
• 2012, Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) Ron Knode Service Award
• 2012, Outstanding Service Award, IEEE TrustCom 2012
• 2012, Honourable Mention, Hewlett-Packard Tech Con 2012
• 2011, Featured Researcher, HP Labs Annual Report 2011
• 2011, Best Paper Award, USEWOD 2011, in conj. with WWW 2011
• 2009, 1st Prize, 4th IEEE Service Cup, in conj. with IEEE ICWS 2009
• 2007, PhD Scholarship, Nanyang Technological University
• 2005, Singapore-Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alliance Scholarship Grants
• April 2013, Principal Investigator, UoW FCMS CAPEX Fund – NZ$40,000 for largescale cloud computing research and education test bed
• June 2013, Principal Investigator, UoW Research Trust Contestable Fund – NZ$4,985 for research and development of cloud data provenance logging tools
Professional Consortium Services
• 2013-, Research Adviser, Cloud Security Alliance (Asia Pacific Region)
• 2013-, Co-Founder/ Chair, CSA Cloud Vulnerabilities Working Group.
• 2012-2013, Board of Directors, Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) New Zealand
• 2011-2013, Co-Founder/ Chair, CSA Cloud Data Governance Working Group.
• 2011-2012, Board of Directors (Director of Research), CSA Singapore University Administration
• 2013-, Founder/ Coordinator, Master of Cyber Security programme
• 2013-, Sub-committee member, 180 point Masters degree Committee, University Education Committee University Teaching (Recent - Waikato)
• Graduate Level (Honours/ Postgrad Dip/ Masters)
o COMP518 (2014) - Cyber Security
o COMP527 (2014) - Cloud Computing Technologies and Security
o COMP513 (2014) - Topics in Computer Networks
o COMP514 (2013) - Carrier and ISP Networks (Excellent teaching appraisal scores)
o COMP518 (2013) - Cyber Security (Excellent teaching appraisal scores)
• Undergraduate/ Sophomore
o COMP333 (2014) - Web Application Development
o COMP333 (2013) - Web Application Development (Excellent teaching appraisal scores)
Industry Advisory Boards/ Panels
• 2013, Subject Matter Expert, Item Writing Workshop, Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, San Francisco, CA.
• 2013, Subject Matter Expert, Job Task Analysis Workshop/ Exam Development for new (ISC)2-CSA Certification for Cloud Security Professionals, Orlando, Florida.
• 2012, Industry Advisory Committee, Singapore Cloud Computing Standards Development, Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore.
• 2011, Judging Panel, Finals, UK National Cyber Security Challenge 2011.
Journal Editorial Boards
• 2014-, Area Editor (Cyber Security and Big Data), Proceedings of Open Library of Engineering Sciences (Open Access Journal)
• 2013-, Assoc. Editor, Intl J. of Semantic & Infrastructural Services (InderScience)
• 2013-, Assoc. Editor, Int’l J. of Applied Pattern Recognition (Inderscience).
• 2011-, Assoc. Editor, Security & Communication Networks Journal (Wiley)
• 2011-, Assoc. Editor, Intl. Journal of Cloud Applications & Computing
• 2009-2011, Editor, ACM Crossroads (XRDS)
• 2009, Assoc. Editor (Asia Pacific), ACM Crossroads (XRDS) Conference Chairing/ Organisation (Recent)
• 2014,Publicity Chair,7th ACM/IEEE Utility & Cloud Computing Conference (UCC), UK
• 2014, Chair, 4th IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (IEEE TSCloud 2014), Beijing, China.
• 2013, Prog. Co-Chair, 2nd Int’ Conf. on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (SNDS-2014), Trivandrum, India.
• 2013, Prog. Co-Chair, 2nd Cloud Security Alliance Asia Pacific Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) Forum 2013, Macau.
• 2013, PC Chair, 1st Cloud Security Alliance APAC Congress 2013, Singapore.
• 2013, Chair, 3rd IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing (IEEE TSCloud 2013), Melbourne, Australia.
• 2013, Workshop Chair, 15th IEEE Int’l Conference on High Performance Computing & Communications (IEEE HPCC 2013), Zhangjiajie, China.
• 2013, Workshop & Special Sessions Chair, 2nd Int’l Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications & Informatics (ICACCI 2013), Mysore, India.
• 2012, PC Chair, 2nd IEEE Int’l Symposium on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, (IEEE TSCloud 2012), Liverpool, UK.
• 2012, PC Chair, 4th IEEE Int’l Symposium on UbiSafe Computing (UbiSafe), Liverpool.
• 2011, Co-Founder/ Co-Chair, 1st IEEE Int’l Workshop on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, (IEEE TSCloud 2011), Changsha, China. Technical Program Committee Member (Recent)
• 2014, 2nd International Conference on Security in Computer Networks and Distributed Systems, Trivandrum, Kerala, India.
• 2014, 13th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom 2014), Beijing, China. (Tier 1)
• 2014, 9th IEEE Int’l Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup), Alaska, USA.
• 2014, 5th International Workshop on Wireless Networks and Multimedia (WNM-2014), Dalian, China.
• 2014, TrustData Workshop 2014, Dalian, China.
• 2013, 8th IEEE Int’l Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup), Santa Clara, CA.
• 2013 IEEE Int’l Conf. on Internet of Things (IEEE iThings 2013), Beijing, China.
• 2013, IEEE ICPADS Workshop on Cloud Services & Systems (CSS 2013), Seoul.
• 2013, 2nd Asian Conf. on Information Systems (ACIS 2013). Phuket, Thailand.
• 2013, DOA-Trusted Cloud 2013, 3rd Int’l Symp. on Secure Virtual Infrastructures, OnTheMove Federated Conferences & Workshops 2013,Graz, Austria.
• 2013, 8th IEEE International Contest on Cloud Computing (CLOUD Cup 2013) (Tier 1)
• 2013, 12th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom 2013), Melbourne, Australia. (Tier 1)
• 2013, 4th Int’l Workshop on Wireless Networks & Multimedia (WNM 2013), in conj. with 11th IEEE ISPA, Melbourne, Australia.
• 2013, 4th Int’l Conf. on Cloud Computing, GRIDs & Virtualization, Valencia, Spain.
• 2013, 9th Asia Pacific Conf. on Conceptual Modeling (APCCM 2013), Adelaide.
• 2012, 10th Int’l Conf. on Services Oriented Computing (ICSOC 2012), Shanghai.
• 2012, 7th IEEE Service Cup, in conj. with IEEE ICWS 2012, Hawaii, USA. (Tier 1)
• 2012, 18th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Parallel & Distributed Systems (ICPADS-12),Singapore.
• 2012, 11th IEEE Int’l Conf. on Trust, Security & Privacy in Computing & Communications (IEEE TrustCom-12), Liverpool, UK. (Tier 1)
• 2012, 3rd IEEE Int’l Workshop on Wireless Networks & Multimedia, Liverpool.
• 2012, 8th Asia Pacific Conf. on Conceptual Modeling (APCCM 2012), Melbourne. SCI-Indexed Journal Special Issues (SI)
• 2014, Guest Editor, Special Issue on Advances in Trust, Security and Privacy for Wireless Communication Networks, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer)
• 2011-2013, Guest Editor, SI on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, Security & Communication Networks Journal (Wiley)
• 2013-, Guest Editor, SI on Advances in Trust, Security & Privacy for Wireless Communication Networks, Wireless Personal Communications (Springer)
• 2013-, Guest Editor, SI on Trends, Applications and Security in Computing & Communications, Int’l Journal of Computers & Electrical Engineering (Elsevier)
• 2013 – Editorial Advisory Board, Big Data Management, Technologies & Applications, Edited Book, IGI Global Reviewing Services for Journals
• IEEE Trans. on Cloud Computing
• IEEE Trans. on Computers
• Computer Networks (Elsevier)
• Future Generation Computing Systems (Elsevier)
• IEEE Trans. Parallel and Distributed Systems
• IEEE Trans. on Knowledge & Data Engineering
• IEEE Spectrum, Information Systems (Elsevier)
• Journal of Cloud Computing (Inderscience)
• Security & Communication Networks (Wiley)
• IEEE Trans. on Services Computing
• Australasian Journal of Information Systems
• Business Process Management Journal (Emerald)
• ACM XRDS (ACM Crossroads)
Keynote Addresses, Invited Speaker (Recent)
• Invited Speaker, New Zealand Privacy Awareness Week Forum, New Zealand Privacy Commissioner’s Office, 7 May 2014 in Wellington, New Zealand
• Invited Speaker, “Where is my Cloud data? Who has touched it? – The case for tracking Cloud data provenance”, New Zealand Cloud Computing Summit 2013, Auckland, New Zealand.
• Invited Speaker, “Cloud Computing Vulnerability Incidents: A Statistical Analysis”, School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, May 2013.
• Invited Workshop Chair,- “Security, Trust and Accountability on the Cloud” Jakarta, Indonesia, March 2012
• Invited Speaker, ”Internet Security” – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 2012
• Invited Speaker, ”Security on the Cloud” Workshop, Cloud Computing Malaysia Conference, 1-3 November 2011, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
• Keynote Address, International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics 2012 (ICACCI-2012), Chennai, India, 3 Aug 2012.
• ”An Introduction to Cloud Security Alliance and its Research Efforts”, CloudComp 2011 Workshop, 24 July 2011, Kochi, India.
• Panel Session Chair, ”Public-Private Partnerships for Cyber Space Security”, Defence, Science and Re- search Conference (DSR 2011), 4 August 2011, Suntec City Convention Centre, Singapore.
• Expert Panelist, ”Outsourced Integration The Forgotten Cloud Option”, Cloud Security Alliance Congress 2011, 17th November 2011, Orlando, Florida, USA.
• Invited Speaker, ”Enhancing Cloud Data Forensics with File-Centric Cross-VM/PM Logging”, 4th Internet Security Forum (China Hacker Conference), CISRG, 24-25 November 2011, Shanghai, China.
• Invited Speaker, ”Cloud Computing Security – Past, Present and Future”, IDA-NLB Public Talk Series on Cloud Computing 2011, National Library, 11 August 2011, Singapore.
• Invited Speaker, ”From System-Centric to Data-Centric Logging Addressing Accountability, Trust and Security in Cloud Computing”, 1st Defence, Science and Research Conference (DSR 2011), Suntec City Convention Centre, 4 August 2011, Singapore.
• Invited Speaker, ”The Genesis+BOWL System for Dynamic Cross Enterprise Business Process For- mulation”, Research Presentation to Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology (SIMTech) Scientific Advisory Board, 26 Jan 2010, Singapore.
• Invited Speaker, ”Dynamic Formulation of Collaborative Business Processes From User-Defined Busi- ness Goals and Constraints”, SIMTech PhD Student Sharing Session 2009, Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Agency for Science, Technology and Research, 13 Nov 2009, Singapore.
• Speaker, ”An Investigation into the Dynamic Formulation and Deployment of Collaborative Business Processes in B2B Collaborations”, Seminar at School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, College of Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, July 2008, Singapore, Business Process Management Journal (Emerald), ACM XRDS Research Student Supervision Experience (Waikato)
Research publications & dissemination
Peer-reviewed journal articles (Selected)
• Ryan K L Ko, Stephen S G Lee, Veerappa Rajan, “Understanding Cloud Failures” IEEE Spectrum 49(12), pp. 84, 2012, IEEE, 2013.
• Nick Papanikolaou, Siani Pearson, Marco Casassa Mont, Ryan K L Ko, ”A Toolkit for Automating Compliance in Cloud Computing Services”, Journal of Cloud Computing (CloudSecGov Special Issue), Accepted 9 July 2012, In press.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, ”Cloud Computing in Plain English”, ACM Crossroads, Vol. 16 Issue 3, pp. 5-6, ACM Press, 2010.
• Ryan K L Ko, E W Lee, Stephen S G Lee, "Business-OWL (BOWL)—A Hierarchical Task Network Ontology for Dynamic Business Process Decomposition and Formulation," Services Computing, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 5, No.2, pp.246, 259, April-June 2012.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, ”A Computer Scientist’s Introductory Guide to Business Process Management (BPM)”, ACM Crossroads, Vol. 15 Issue 4, pp. 11-18, ACM Press, 2009. (2nd highest download for this journal on ACM Portal)
• Ryan K L Ko, Stephen S G Lee and E W Lee, ”Business Process Management (BPM) Standards: A Survey”, Business Process Management Journal, Emerald Publishing, Vol. 15 No. 5, Pp. 744-791, 2009.
Peer reviewed books, book chapters, books edited (Selected)
• Ryan K L Ko, “Data Accountability in Cloud Computing”, Book Chapter, Security, Privacy and Trust in Cloud Systems, Springer, Editors Surya Nepal, Mukaddim Pathan, 2013. Book Chapter accepted 17 Feb 2013. In press.
• Ryan K L Ko, Markus Kirchberg, B S Lee, Special Issue on Trust & Security in Cloud Computing, Security & Communication Networks Journal (Wiley), Q4 2013, In press.
• Y Baek, Ryan K L Ko, Tim Marsh (Eds.), Trends and Applications of Serious Gaming and Social Media, Gaming Media and Social Effects (Springer), 2014.
Recent refereed conference proceedings (Selected)
• Y. S. Tan, Ryan K. L. Ko, Geoff Holmes, “Security and Data Accountability in Distributed Systems: A Provenance Survey”, 15th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications (HPCC 2013), Zhangjiajie, China, November 13-15, 2013, pp. 1-8, IEEE.
• (Tier 1) Chun Hui Suen, Ryan K. L. Ko, Y. S. Tan, Peter Jagadpramana and B.S. Lee (2013) “S2Logger: End-to-End Data Tracking Mechanism for Cloud Data Provenance.” Proc 12th IEEE International Conference of Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communication (TrustCom ’13), Melbourne, Australia, 16-18 July 2013, pp. 594-602. IEEE.
• Olive Qing Zhang, Ryan K L Ko, Markus Kirchberg, Chun Hui Suen, Peter Jagadpramana, Bu Sung Lee,“How to Track Your Data: Rule-Based Data Provenance Tracing Algorithms”, 2012 International Symposium on Advances in Trusted and Secure Information Systems (TSIS-2012), in conjunction with 11th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom 2012), 25-27 June 2012, Liverpool, pp.1429-1437.
• (Tier 1) Yu Shyang Tan, Ryan K L Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Chun Hui Suen, Markus Kirchberg, Teck Hooi Lim, Bu Sung Lee, Anurag Singla, Ken Mermoud, Doron Keller, Ha Duc, “Tracking of Data Leaving the Cloud”, 11th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom 2012), 25-27 June 2012, Liverpool, UK, pp. 137-144.
• Nick Papanikolaou, Siani Pearson, Marco Cassasa Mont, Ryan K L Ko, “Automating Compliance For Cloud Computing Services”, Security Governance and SLAs in Cloud Computing – CloudSecGov 2012, in conjunction with 2nd International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER 2012), 19 April 2012, Porto, Portugal, pp. 631-637.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Bu Sung Lee, ”Flogger: A File-centric Logger for Monitoring File Access and Transfers within Cloud Computing Environments”, 3rd IEEE International Workshop on Security in e-Science and e- Research (ISSR 2011), in conjunction with IEEE TrustCom, 16-18 November 2011, Changsha, China.
• Olive Qing Zhang, Markus Kirchberg, Ryan K. L. Ko, Bu Sung Lee, ”How To Track Your Data: The Case for Cloud Computing Provenance”, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (IEEE CloudCom 2011), 29 Nov – 1 Dec 2011, Athens, Greece, pp. 446-453.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, Markus Kirchberg, Bu Sung Lee, ”From System-Centric Logging to Data-Centric Logging – Accountability, Trust and Security in Cloud Computing”, Defence, Science and Research Conference 2011 – Symposium on Cyber Terrorism, IEEE Computer Society, 3-4 August 2011, Singapore, pp. 1-4.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, Bu Sung Lee, Siani Pearson, ”Towards Achieving Accountability, Auditability and Trust in Cloud Computing”, International Workshop on Cloud Computing- Architecture, Algorithms and Applications (Cloudcomp 2011),
Springer Verlag, 22-24 July 2011, Kochi, India, pp. 5-18.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Miranda Mowbray, Siani Pearson, Markus Kirchberg, Qianhui Liang, Bu Sung Lee, ”TrustCloud – A Framework for Accountability and Trust in Cloud Computing”, IEEE 2nd Cloud Forum for Practitioners (IEEE ICFP 2011), IEEE Computer Society, 7-8 July 2011, Washington DC, USA, pp. 1-5.
• (Best Paper Award) Markus Kirchberg, Ryan K. L. Ko, Bu Sung Lee, ”From Linked Data to Relevant Data – Time is the Essence”, 1st International Workshop on Usage Analysis and the Web of Data (USEWOD 2011), in conjunction with the 20th Int’l World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2011), India, March 28 2011.
• Ryan K. L. Ko, ”Cloud Computing in Plain English”, ACM Crossroads, Vol. 16 Issue 3, pp. 5-6, ACM Press, 2010.
• (Tier 1) Ryan K. L. Ko, Stephen S. G. Lee, E. W. Lee and Andre Jusuf, ”Dynamic Collaborative Business Process Formulation via Ontologised Hierarchical Task Network Planning”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference of Web Services (IEEE ICWS 2009), 6-10 July 2009, pp. 959-967, Los Angeles, California, IEEE Computer Society Press.(Acceptance rate = 15.8%)
• (1st Prize) Ryan K. L. Ko, Stephen S. G. Lee and Andre Jusuf, ”Genesis-Dynamic Collaborative Business Process Formulation Based on Business Goals and Criteria”, IEEE Services Cup 2009, 6-10 July 2009, Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE Congress on Services-I, pp. 123-129, Los Angeles, California, IEEE Computer Society Press.
• D. N. Le, N. S. Nguyen, Karel Mous, Ryan K. L. Ko and Angela E. S. Goh, ”Generating Request Web Services from Annotated BPEL”, IEEE RIVF 2009 Conference, July 13-17, Da Nang City, Vietnam, IEEE Xplore Proceedings, 2009.
• K. Mous, Ryan K. L. Ko, S. G. Lee, P. S. Tan, and E. W. Lee, ”High-level Business Processes for Agile B2B Collaboration”, Proceedings of the 35th International MATADOR Conference, pp. 169-172, 2007, Taipei, Taiwan, Springer- Verlag.
International Patents awarded via the USA Patent and Trademark Office
1. Ryan K L Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Bu Sung Lee, ”Tracing Operations in a Cloud System”, Patent Cooperation Treaty PCT/US2011/043679, Filed 12 July 2011. Awarded 17 January 2013. Patent Number: WO/2013/009300
2. Chun Hui Suen, Ryan K L Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Bu Sung Lee, ”Tracing Data Block Operations”, Patent Cooperation Treaty PCT/US2011/048105, Filed 17 August 2011. Awarded 21 February 2013. Patent Number: WO/2013/025211
3. Yu Shyang Tan, Ryan K L Ko, Peter Jagadpramana, Bu Sung Lee, ”Determining File Allocation Based on File Operations”, Patent Cooperation Treaty PCT/US2013/468823, Filed 10 May 2012. Awarded 14 Nov 2013. Patent
Number: US20130304774 A1
Other forms of dissemination (reports for clients, technical reports, popular press, etc)
Industry Consortia Peer-Reviewed Technical Reports
1. Ryan K. L. Ko, Stephen S. G. Lee and Veerappa Rajan, “Cloud Computing Vulnerability Incidents: A Statistical Overview” Cloud Security Alliance Cloud Vulnerabilities Working Group White Paper. Available at:
https://crow.org.nz/sites/default/files/2017-01/Cloud_Computing_Vulnerability_Incidents.pdf. CSA, 2013.
2. Ryan K L Ko, George Goh, Srinivas Jaini, Tim Mather, “Cloud Consumer Advocacy Questionnaire and Information Survey Results (CCAQIS)”, Technical Report, Cloud Security Alliance Cloud Data Governance Working Group, November 2011.
Previous research work
HP Labs TrustCloud Project, 2010-2012 (Principal Investigator, Lead Scientist)
Team: 10 researchers from Singapore and Bristol, and 3 PhD students trained.
Principal outcome: Development of first-in-the-world cloud-wide data accountability software. Technology transfers, integration to products of HP ArcSight and deployment into cloud computing infrastructures of HP customers, including USA Treasury and IRS, and HP Cloud Centres of Excellence in Grenoble and Shanghai.
Principal end-user and contact: Anurag Singla, Manager, HP ArcSight
HP Labs SimpliCity Project, 2011-2012 (Lead Scientist of CityWorks Module)
Team: 20 researchers over 4 Modules, Led CityWorks Module.
Principal outcome: Led the development of CityWorks, a module which integrates data collection, management, analysis, instrumentation and city planning needs.
Principal end-user and contact: Chang Sau Sheong, Director, HPLS
ASTAR-HP Labs Integrated Data Analytics Platform,2010-2011(Key Researcher)
Team: 10 researchers from Institute for High Performance Computing and HPLS
Principal outcome: HP Labs created a platform which enabled users to integrate and analyse data using underlying analytics algorithms and service orchestrations.
Principal end-user and contact: Dr Terence Hung, Director, ASTAR IHPC
CSA Cloud Data Governance Working Group, 2011-2013 (Principal Investigator)
Team: 5 investigators from industry (HP, KPMG, Revolution Analytics, Fujitsu), coordinating more than 100 industry global representatives.
Principal outcome: Industry-wide surveys conducted on existing gaps in clouds handling data. “Cloud Consumer Advocacy Questionnaire and Information Survey Results (CCAQIS)” report is widely cited and adopted by Trend Micro.
Principal end-user and contact: Ken Low, Director Enterprise Security, Trend Micro
Systems and Luciano Santos, Research Director, Cloud Security Alliance
ASTAR Integrated Manufacturing Systems and Services,2007-2010(Researcher)
Team: Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Principal outcome: Created algorithms which enable on-the-fly decomposition of high-level business goals into Web service compositions. Technique clinched 1st Prize of the 4th IEEE Service Cup (Service Computing Contest) in Los Angeles, 2009.
Principal end-user and contact: Dr Lee Eng Wah (SIMTech) (PI), and Mr Thomas Yeo, Manager of KHL Limited (listed timber company in Singapore)
Describe the commercial, social or environmental impact of your previous research work
1. First-in-the-World Technological Breakthrough: TrustCloud was recognised by Trend Micro’s Director of Enterprise Security, Microsoft Chief Security Strategist (APAC), and international employees from TripWire and HP as the first-in-the-world vendor-centric technique for people to trace data in large-scale cloud infrastructures.
2. Real-life Technology Transfers experiences into global products,
3. Industry and Social Impact: CSA Ron Knode Service Award 2012 and HP Tech Con 2012 Honorable Mention. HP Labs 2011 Annual Report – featured for global impact. Best Paper Award-WWW2011 Workshop (presentation attended by Tim Berners-Lee).
4. Vendor-neutral industry research technical report by CDG working group demonstrated thought leadership and capability to coordinate global-scale research.
5. Industry relevance: Cloud Computing Vulnerabilities white paper published in CSA Alliance Vulnerabilities Working Group is ranked 4th most downloaded amongst 20+ reports, and currently at 6000+ unique downloads.
Demonstration of relationships with end-users
As Research Adviser for CSA (Asia Pacific), I maintain relationships with more than 100 multinational companies and academic institutions from Asia Pacific Region. I have also demonstrated my relationships with technology transfer end-users in Parts 2(b) and 2(c).